04 February 2010

When recording artists come together

This is the original "We are the World" recording released in 1985. It was a star-studded lineup of recording artists joining efforts in the hopes of raising awareness about Africa. I don't know if the song achieved this goal entirely, but I do remember the song from my childhood, so it must have gotten lots of exposure.



Now below is the photoshopped picture of today's celebrities joining forces to a) celebrate 25 years since the original recording and b) raise money and awareness for Haiti. It's such a bad idea. Look at Usher, as if he was even there. as if any of them were all together in the same room. I'm sorry, but I find this project really awkward. This song really didn't have to be redone. Celebrities today are not the recording artists of yesteryear. Does anyone else find this annoying?



http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010/02/02/charity-single-haiti-world.html?ref=rss

11 comments:

c-revolution said...

My perspective is that raising money is a good thing, regardless of the unsavoury nature of these characters.

What bugs me the most though is that, at any given moment, these dickheads could write cheques that would not hurt them financially, and in aggregate, could provide enough resources to feed the world, get what I mean?

What we should be appalled about is that we allow people to hoard and accumulate wealth to such a great degree, especially in the face of the oppressive human suffering that we, by fiat, allow relative to our inaction.

Denis said...

Little Wayne is doing the Bob Dylan part, how can this be so wrong?

Druni said...

i agree with you c-rev. Raising money for a cause is never a bad idea, i guess I phrased that wrong. I just don't see this project being so much for the fund-raising as the "hey, look at us celebrities doing something good for the planet". In the age of internet, I think most people know about this disaster already, so awareness isn't lacking. They could have each cut $15-25 000 checks (pocket change) for Haiti and called it a day. I don't see what kind of impact they think this remake will have.

Lorne Roberts said...

agreed. a big, ugly, vanity project.

Lorne Roberts said...

p.s. the Bruce Springsteen/Stevie Wonder part at the end is just gold.

D.Macri said...

I worked at a place called Xentel, that raised money for charities (children's burn fund. We were taught to pressure old people from Ontario (only province that didn't ban Xentel). I eventually figured out that they gave 2 thousand for every 2 million dollars raised! The rest was going to the company. I hope that the charities in this case are more honourable than Xentel, but I wonder by how much.

Lorne Roberts said...

"and we're sending our looooove down that well (SENDING OUR LOVE!)..."

CaptainGoldStar said...

Wow, Carlos what you said there was sweet.

I wish we could do something like this in WInnipeg with all of the times change people and everyone! All of the musicians of our little group singing Home on the Range or something like that. And give the money to the suffering hobos and prostitutes of winnipeg. Or the suffering artists like dave

micro said...

Watch it Goldstar, or YOU'll be the one suffering. Hobos and prostitutes, why I oughta...

Druni said...

notice how in the picture, none of them are interacting with each other and they're mostly facing different directions. i wonder who was ACTUALLY in the room.

D.Macri said...

Digital or magazine style collage idea! Who WOULD you want to see in a room together? Not only musicians (but can be).