04 February 2010

Dramatic Monologues

The three pieces that follow were all written in late December or early January. They're not really finished, and in fact I may never do much of anything with them beyond this.

They're mostly inspired by Tennyson who, along with a number of other 19th-century poets (Robert Browning being another), practiced the art of "dramatic monologues" in their poetry.

Dramatic monologues were (or are) that idea that poetry could be fictional, written entirely in someone else's voice, that it didn't need to be an autobiographical and introspective exercise.


I feel like I'm a pretty happy person, in that I go through my days fairly upbeat and optimistic and yet, for some reason, a lot of what I write tends to be morbid and sad.

These are the only three dramatic monologues I've written thus far and, weirdly, they're all about tragedy.

Maybe this should be the cause of some self-reflection? :)

No comments: