12 April 2010

Hochelaga fishbowl

Every night
on my way home
I pass by the same buildings
en route

The portuguese barbecue restaurant
with its christmas lights
even in the spring

The animo-medic clinic
with the sign that says
Urgences
pointing to the backlane
it's never open

And always
through a window
the same man
sitting
in the same couch
in the same position
long dark hair
long moustache
no shirt
big belly
with the same big beer
smoking a cigarette

Last month
his walls were a turquoise blue
with the cross-stitch landscape pictures
on the wall
and the 1960s decor

Recently
the walls have been painted
a conservative beige
but that's all
that has changed

And every night
I see him
through his window
in that same pose
and I keep looking
as I'm walking
like a voyeur
to see

Is he looking at the wall?
Is he watching tv?

Eventually I see
there's no tv

He's looking out the window
like a fish
in a fishbowl

He's looking at me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice one.

(I never really know what to say about poetry).

louis-joseph papineau, leader of the 1837 rebellion in lower canada said...

papineau metro uphill to sherbrooke/cartier. i know this same guy, though he probably doesn't watch me with quite the same intensity as he watches you.

i guess it is sort of hochelaga, eh?

cara said...

I like this, sometimes that is all I have to say about poetry.

I like it-it satisfied some morbid drive of watching that I think I have too.

ps. I knew you wrote this by about line 2. that was kind of neat to recognize your writing.