15 December 2009

Transcendental Guilt on the Beach

Nobody wants saviors now adays because nobody thinks they need to be saved. Everyone feels content in their lives and if they don´t they just learn to accept the way things are thinking that change would be inmpossible so there´s no point in trying. Sometimes it´s hard to describe experiences like this without sounding like a salesman. How can I express this enjoyment with out wanting you to enjoy life in this way also? And yet I don´t want you to feel bad about your life, rather I want exactly the oposite. I want everyone to experience life the way Im experiencing it. Is that selfish? Anyways, we´ve progressed on to the beach in a place called Mancora. Its on the pacific coast side very close to Ecuador. Here is a surfer´s haven. Surfer´s are zen masters. They are taoists seek the way through riding the wave. The waves here roll and roll all day and night. I don´t use the board. I just run out into the wave and let it roll over me. Sometimes the wave is so big that the only thing to do is roll yourself into a ball and just let yourself go spinning under the water. When Im done I come running out of the water to meet my companion and we sit in the sun together. Minds thought free. No need for speculation. Mantras appear naturally to the mind. After two days in this equatorial sun our skins are already dark brown. I even offered the whiteness of my upper thighs to the sun and that sissy skin was scorched since it rarely sees the light of day in my other life back home. I feel like a tiny child and this is what the sun and ocean do. (scientifically I beleive there´s a relationship we don´t fully understand between the colour of our skin and our mindstate, also how much sunshine we allow into our eyes)
Our tent is set up under palm trees and we eat fresh veggies and fruits from the market. Avacados are enormous here like twice the regular size. A week´s worth of food cost about ten dollars. It costs 2 dollars a night for our camp spot. All of the proper urges in terms of healthy living and eating occur naturally. Cravings are illiminated. Booze consumption reduced to healthy level.
At night hanging in a hammock I wonder if I have commited some error. Am I going to have to pay for what Im doing? The Hare Krisjna´s and others have told me that the path of sensual enjoyment is not the way. Can this be true? Am I living here in this dream of paradise at the expense of my freinds and family and everyone else I know who are daily toiling away back home? I hope not.
Im reading a book my dad gave me about Zen. Books are devoured here. I think Zen means going beyond logic and rational discourse in order to seek out enlightment NOW in this body. Sweet. Too bad those Zen guys had to go about it by self-denial. I think beleive times have changed and there´s an easier way to enlightment for everyone for free. Jah, god, jehovah, Allah, Krisnja, Odin, They all want us to go forward and they won't be mad if we turn to look them in the eyes.

2 comments:

c-dog said...

It is selfish, and untenable ontologically. Diversity is foundational to reality. You should just be happy and thankful that you have such a privileged view.

jc said...

Beautiful and descriptive writing, easy to imagine and long for but isn't your dream of paradise one of snow and -40?

Makes me want to say "Wishing you quiet moments.....to enjoy the beauty of the season...love Winnipeg.