09 December 2009

Kehinde Wiley Portrait of King of Pop

What are we to make of this? Kehinde Wiley, noted for binding his oeuvre together using leitmotifs of heroic and classical themes to portray mostly rap stars in paint, completes this post-humus work of Michael Jackson "just in time" for Art Basel Miami last week. Sadly, Jackson never laid eyes on the (apparently commissioned?) work of his keester alit upon, of all things, a stallion, never sat for the portrait or even a sketch or photo session. It sold for $160,000 USD, not that counts for much, but after people pass judgement on the blogs I'm guessing the price will only go up. Does anyone think this is the real deal or are we just witnessing the progression and evolution of upmarket sofa art (yet again)?
~m

2 comments:

D.Macri said...

Looks pretty cool to me. I don't think most people would want that over their sofa, but I would.

Sofa Designer said...

wow, this looks like a beautiful painting. Upmarket sofa art? I love this kind of debate, but you gotta be kidding me! I think making distinctions like that you're going to run into problems drawing the line between the two, where there probably shouldn't be a line. I think you're suggesting that 'upmarket sofa art' is a lesser form of art! As soon as art takes a pragmatic or ornamental form, why does it drop in value? Or does it? Or is this just Academic snobbery?

Age old debate! Som eof the greatest art ever made was made to hang over a sofa. Some of the greatest art ever made took the form of a sofa!