17 March 2010

Who knows?

One of my students used this sentence:

"Economic evaluations are important in dentistry for many reasons. They can inform policies regarding manpower and other resources, they can determine whether or which interventions are cost-effective and they can help ascertain how the profession and the general population values new and existing treatments."

I have problems with the use of "manpower and other resources".

I want to change it to "human and other resources" (read human resources and other resources).

At first I think it should not be written that way because of gender discrimination, and then I think I'm a pansy for caring about that.

But it's true, doesn't sound good, especially if the written word ultimately shapes our brains (in and along with the environment). The words literally structure themselves in to our thoughts, our habits, our actions.

Anyways, but then I think, is "human and other resources" any better.

What have I done?

I've made human beings resources, meaning I've dehumanised them.

Literally, I have de-'powered' them.

This is no good, and I think reflects something about how we think about running our society.

These are my thoughts on this sunny day of the everlasting covenant.

5 comments:

Lorne Roberts said...

Didn't Utah Phillips say something about talking to a bunch of students once and telling them: "You're America's greatest natural resource. Well have you ever seen what they do to natural resources?"

renamaphone said...

I agree with what you're saying here.

how about human power?

Lorne Roberts said...

i discussed this on the phone with him tonight it was decided that this is official proof that i have gently colonized the soul of one rev dr dr c-dog r. torontex.

micro said...

It sounds like your getting into aesthetics a bit. What about the aesthetics of "scientific" writing? Is it considered? It can't be avoided, you might as well consider it right?

Denis said...

I might change it to "staffing and ressources such as..." and add an example or two and a period. Next sentene starts with "They can also dertimine..." or something like that. It is the "other" that turns the humans into a resource.

That said, your student may see people as a resource and not wish to humanise them.