15 June 2010

12 gates


Hi. Im in the bush planting trees and getting strong. The other day while working I had a revelation. Here's the plan:
You probably all know about the prophecies and hype surrounding the year 2012. Talk of interdimensional gateways and galactic equinoxes and such. So much delusional hogwash Im sure. But why not capitalize creatively on the concepts? Even if nothing happens on the macrocosmic scale, why not MAKE something happen on the microscopic scale. But not so microscopic that you need a microscope to observe it. I mean creating something a little bit bigger than that.
There was some talk of there being a combined show at the grafiti gallery. Im not sure what became of these plans for this year but Im going to talk to mr lazo about getting the gallery for the month of december 2012 and have an elaborate concept for an installation-music release akin to the Kaoss machine of 2002. If you guys would like to join me in this project with your own magnum opus style works than we could have an idea on our hands.
Theme is transformation, gateway, transcendance, magic, numerology. The work is expected to be new not a retrospective.
Here is my idea: 12 gates. Im going to build a sort of circular labrynth composed of 12 gates. 3 gates for each direction. Each gate will be correspondant to the 4 suits of the tarot, 4 elements etc. Ill be composing and recording 12 songs corresponding to the 12 gates and twelve paintings. At each gate is a set of headphones and a large scale painting so that in order to get to the centre of the labrynth you need to listen to each song while looking at each painting.
Am I getting in over my head? I dont think so. It will take a lot of work but we ve got two years to work on it. When its done we can invite a huge crowd and be the new art stars of the city.
Do you enjoy this idea?

10 comments:

Krahn said...

I like it. I vraiment like it.

culleton said...

I enjoy this idea.

word verif: lizedra....I am the lizedra king, I can do anything.

c-dog said...

I enjoy the idea.

micro said...

I also enjoy the idea, and would like to discuss it further, at your earliest convenience.

Smoky Tigro said...

Scheming has proceeded 10x since yesterday. Im thinking of organizing a massive event. A first annual art expo, fashion show, clothing sale, rave, orgy called the Winnipegasus Solstice Festival. Rallying all the coolest kids in the city for this. Making it huge and fantastic. The first annual Winnipegasus Soltice Festival.

I mean it.

word veri: sneduel

Looking at my sneduel, nothing of importance is lined up for the next two years. So starting now, my sneduel is going to have one word on every date: Winnipegasus.

jc said...

Yes! Coun tmy in , I can help with the look of it all and the labyrinthian idea, there are a few interesting ways to do a display like that. It might be interesting to egta few photos of the inside of the GG to work with for this concept.

DON"T DROP THE BALL!

Lorne Roberts said...

this sounds awesome. keep us all posted.

as for the other show that was being planned, someone else decided it was their show and has taken it off my hands, so you'll have to await instructions/plans from that person, if/when they get to work on it.

micro said...

Who other person took it off your hands? I thought you said that other idea fell through? What was the other idea again? A group show about language? And what's this idea? A group show about tarot cards and gates and doom? I don't really fit into either of those. How about a group show about creative people who know each other? Andrew can do gates, you can do language, I can do contemporary dance or painting, and so on. De-emphasis on the curator/creative control, and re-emphasize the gestalt whole of our individual personalities? The whole is greater than the equal parts.

Or you could do the gates show, AND we could have a group show as well. Wait a second. The fricken world is supposed to end and we are trying to plan an art show, hahaha. F'k that I'm going shopping for backpacks.

tgr said...

This is a group show. I was just telling you what I am planning for my work. But it being a solstice 2012 opening, I would reccomend but not insist on something that went along with the flow of transcendance/metamorphosis. And make it explosive and new.

Dave, for you I would reccomend doing massive paintings. Like polluck huge.

And everyone should try to maintain gentlemanly composure at all times.

jc said...

I think it went something like this...Lorne's idea for a word show turns into a label retro and dan takes charge because it's a label retro ie label=dan...the retrospective will never happen in my estimate. god, am I a little black rain cloud today or what? :) stay gentlemenlike culleton, c'mon!