04 January 2011

To be so wise

I once returned from lunch to discover I had died. There was the announcement on the front page of the NY Times Arts section. After a short existential moment, turns out my parents just weren't that creative with my name. The other Sarah Caldwell was a violin prodigy and the first female conductor of the Met.

I like her style:

"Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did."

"Success is important only to the extent that it puts one in a position to do more things one likes to do."

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do; not that the nature of the thing itself is changed, but that our power to do is increased."

"We must continuously discipline ourselves to remember how it felt the first moment."

3 comments:

c-dog said...

pretty-damn-awesome

jc said...

yes-indeed.

Lorne Roberts said...

that seems like a good person to share a name with.