30 May 2011

four thousand kilometers in four and a half hours

I spent a week in Vancouver with my mother and sisters with record cold and rainy temperatures for the month of May. We stayed in the veritable bowels of the downtown city, and with such unseasonable conditions, it seemed to make sense that we take a trip to the mall which, after a week of very similar escapades, had me feeling perfectly claustrophobic and depressed. Downtown Vancouver is much like the downtown of any major Canadian city. Big gritty buildings, hoards of traffic and noise, a Starbucks on what seemed like every two blocks and the usual suspects of Holt Renfrew, Pottery Barn, Club Monaco, topped with a visit to the makeup counter of Chanel at the Bay. In my defense for initially taking pleasure from these activities, giving in to consumerism can be gratifying in a sickly way, sortof like binging on cookie dough ice cream and cheezies.

The majestic snow-capped mountains in the rainy ghostly glow of the atmosphere taunted me as I plodded through the noisy dusty street. It left me with a feeling of longing and malaise. I wanted to be on those big mountains in the middle of all that pure wildness. I wanted to smell the fresh air that I knew was there on those mountains. I felt caught in a cage.

I tried to buy things to get rid of that feeling, thought that maybe the real reason for my grumpy mood was that I needed new shoes or a new hat, or maybe a haircut. I despondently bought a frumpy t-shirt dress and leopard print socks at H&M. Started to think that vomiting would be the only way to get what at that point felt like a growing "thing" inside of me out.

I developed a seemingly permanent sick feeling in my gut, a dullness in my brain, a palpable heaviness. Tried to kill it with another cappuccino, I found that alcohol worked much better.

On the way to the airport on the Skytrain, a girl sat a few rows over in a dirty hoodie and jeans. She had sores on her face and she alternated between talking to herself and sleeping, muttering to beg some change. She had blue eyes and blond hair and she couldn't have been more than 20. Her deflated worn figure was a stark contrast to the shiny spaceship-like quality of the train's interior.

On the way home in the plane, I bought an Adbusters magazine which helped ease the existential crisis a bit. I read a speech by a vegan activist given just before he was sentenced to prison after his arson attacks on the Tandy Leather Factory and a foie gras restaurant.

The jet traveled four thousand kilometers in four and a half hours, almost all the way almost across the continent. I squished my nose against the airplane's window on the descent, examining the frost on the glass from the low temperatures of high altitude. I kept looking as we descended beneath the cloud cover until I could see St Joseph's Oratory reliably perched on Mont-Royal.

I came home to a lonely Montreal apartment, the cats had puked on the floor in my absence which I dutifully cleaned up, knowing that a sprinkle of water would help soften up the hardened splats.

I opened a beer and swept the floor, thinking about ways to stop that "thing" from getting inside me for once and for all.

7 comments:

lr said...

holy shit.

Anita said...

Walter Bond's statement to the court after facing charges for arson attacks on the Tandy Leather Factory and on Tiburon, a foie gras restaurant:

http://www.adbusters.org/magazine/95/walter-bond.html

sarachka said...

Vancouver's weird that way - my hometown but it's never as comfortable as it should be; rare moments in the mountains and forests aside.

Great piece of writing.

anita said...

I love Vancouver, but I would have much rather spend my vacation on the beach or park instead of inside a mall.

Being so new and rich, it can be a little weird. Certainly a different world from Montreal!

sarachka said...

I love YVR too, but you did capture its 'other' side. In London they say they built it old, for Vancouver I think it's maybe that they built it young.

anita said...

The contrast between rich and poor seems more pronounced there, probably because of all the young buildings.

The homeless people kind of camouflage into the old buildings in Montreal. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

cara said...

I really like this piece. WOW!

You've really captured the urban and consumer malaise. Truthfully though i feel that malaise far more in Winnipeg than Toronto. So I wonder what that says about big cities, and what they represent and foster in people.

I like the imagery about things getting inside us and what we have to do to get rid of it.

Although, that "thing" is us, in my opinion.