08 April 2010

Pegcity Blues

Hi. Got some time to kill before Macri comes over for some creative collabs. Ive drank a few Gold Beers. They re pricey but I guess its worth the 6.3 percent. Im listening to my own music as I always do and have always done since I first started making it. Its funny after having been back in Winnipeg for a couple of weeks the crazy adventures I had for the past few months have a way of fading away into memory land. Here I am again, in this place, remembering the places that I have been. That s what the music is about too. I take an imprint of a time and emotion, and then relive that time and emotion through listening. Why? This is the essential mystery of the creative process my freinds. Why do people make these expressions? Certainly not necisarily for lively hood. In my case, the obsession with art and music has in fact been a severe detriment to my income and lively hood. So if not for that reason than why? Although lack of clear motivation has never been an issue for me in the past, (I continue to create despite understanding why) maybe now is the time for a little delving.  I beleive it has something to do with THE PURPOSE OF EXISTENCE. In our society, little attention is payed now adays to THE PURPOSE OF EXISTENCE.  Its just sort of taken for granted. I guess the mainstream promotes the answer as accumulation of money and quality of life. Quality of life being generally attributed to amount of income. Especially because according to mainstream logic, steady accumulation of income leads to the cultivation of children which purpetuates our species and makes us happy, thus our overall quality of life is increased. Yet I currently have little desire to propogate nor develop more of an income than I can acheive in order to get out of debt and afford beer. And yet I make art. Why?
              Im reading a book called Tibetan Yoga and secret doctorines. I curl up in bed every night and open the book up and read and then when I cant read any more I fall asleep. Can I tell you something about what I read? No absolutely nothing.  Nothing in that book seems to correlate with our mainstream framework. Their goals, their PURPOSE OF EXISTENCE seems to be coming from another planet! These crazy old tibetan dudes keep talking about the evolution of consiousness as the PURPOSE OF EXISTENCE. All I can tell you is that these crazy old tibetan dudes seem to be insinuating that the PURPOSE OF EXISTENCE is the evolution of consiousness and not the accumulation of wealth, nor do they mention quality of life. Mind you,  the definition of QUALITY here comes into question and Im sure our resident ontologist Dr Carlos will let us know that QUALITY is probably one of the hardest words in our language to define.
       Getting back to our problem of the motive for creating art and music. Allow me to propose that the purpose of creating art has something to do with the evolution of consiousness that the Tibetan dudes were talking about and that it all has to do with the PURPOSE OF EXISTENCE.
        First let me backtrack to the times I took ayahuasca with the shamans.  To summarize, this brew puts DMT into your body. DMT is actually already produced in your body but only released when you re in REM sleep, when your born during childbirth and when you die. I read a book where a scientist who conducted an experiment where he gave high doses of DMT to volunteers in a clinical study. This scientist s overall conclusion is that the DMT chemical is the valve chemical which regulates the movement of your soul to and from your body.  My experience of the ayahuasca brew reinforces for me that this premise is true. It also left me with the affirmation that life on this planet, especially the life of my own consiousness has the purpose in this existence of TRANSCENDING THIS WORLD!!! Truly we are all born to die. DYING is the PURPOSE OF EXISTENCE. Because without dying we cannot evolve into the worlds of higher vibration!!

Whoa dave has arrived peace!

7 comments:

c-works said...

I too agree that the purpose of existence is to evolve our consciousness, seems like the only reasonable thing.

That being said, having kids and a family have their own joys, I think, which are just as intrinsically good, regardless of their instrumental value for individuals and for the species.

And quality, well, I actually think we recognize quality relatively easily because it is not so arbitrary as one would think, which of course has ontological roots in my thinking, gah, I'm a caricature of myself now.

Keep up the good work, but don't forget that the imperative part of that statement is "work".

D.Macri said...

As I explained in person last night, I am not in agreement with the statement:

"DYING is the PURPOSE OF EXISTENCE"

I think death is an important part of the whole thing, but not THE purpose. I think the living part is key too, how you live and behave with your environment. I think the highest state of consciousness (or at least a really good one)would be to love ALL things (and non things, what have you). I mean even/especially the things you don't like or influence. My hardest thing, like many people, is to overcome the "dislike/judgment" (which is interestingly tied to the complexity of quality AND aesthetics), and to tolerate/enjoy the mysterious directioning of circumstances (rhythmic fate).

(On a side note, I don't think taking DMT lke a drug is a good idea for me, or most people I know. Just thinking, it would be more ideal to affect the chemicals that already occupy your body, by using your mind and diet. )

D.Macri said...

or did you mean dyeing (like from old man grey to youthfull black)is the purpose of existence??

HAHAHA

greg oakes said...

that was a brilliant post andrew; although i have not experienced what you have (you traveling maniac you), i'm totally on the same page!! it's all too familiar, and speaks so much truth; this all seems to fall in line with the teachings of abraham-hicks (being one with the universe/god; creator of one's own reality). one truly never dies though, only in the physical sense, within this wonky as heck time space reality we call life on earth. ;) *sigh* http://www.facebook.com/gregoakes?v=app_2347471856&ref=profile

anita said...

To each their own. Although steady income does not necessarily precede propagation of the species.

Existence happens when the seed meets the egg. Two DNA's dance the tango, or so to speak.

Anita said...

But seriously.

It's interesting how buddhism in general focuses on non-material aspects of existence and importance is put on transcending the material world to find enlightenment in our consciousness.

From what I've read, there's not much emphasis on the miracle and beauty of nature in buddhism. Maybe it's because those tibetan monks lived in the high mountains, where no vegetation grew.

It's interesting that in contrast aboriginal religion puts all spiritual emphasis on nature such as spirit animals and sun gods. In the incan culture condors were seen as spiritual symbols and temples were built in their honor. From what I know their religion also involved studying the stars. Also, the Sioux and the Iroquois believed in the "Great Creator", a supreme being who is immanent in the fabric of the material world.

Interesting word, immanence, which means that the spiritual permeates the non spiritual. This is in contrast with the term of "transcendence" which I believe is a philosophical term more relating to the ideas in buddhism.

Very interesting.

D.Macri said...

I'd bet natural environments/geographical context have a huge role in the development of philosophy and religion/spirituality.

While I am not really familiar with Buddhist scripture, or anything beyond a surface understanding, when I went to temples in Korea I sensed a real kinship/appreciation for nature. Maybe that's just me, but all the gardening and bibimbap, fountains with koy, and especially nature metaphors/symbols in the architecture and design. Maybe it's the art creating that I'm reading, not the Buddhism.

Anyhow, that's kind of what I am (should be right now) writing about; the occurrence of natural rhythm in art.